Myth vs. Reality

What are some of the stories you've heard about vampires? Surely, in this day and age, there isn't a person out there who hasn't heard of, or read about Dracula. Yes, that undead, night prowling count of over-told powers and unlimited appeal has caused quite a stir. And perpetuated the frightening myths that can make reality hard to live in.


Holy water, silver, sunlight and garlic do absolutely nothing to harm a real vampire, unless there is already a sensitivity to silver, sunlight or garlic. Holy water is, after all, only water that's been blessed by a priest, and I've yet to hear of anyone being allergic to water. There are medical instances where people are allergic to sunlight however, and these folks will break out in hives, and often burn severely if exposed to the sun for more than a very few moments at a time. But, for myself (as an example) although I burn easily, I only burn once a year, and that turns into a deep enough tan I don't burn again (but I still don't sit out in the sun for more than a half hour at a time). I don't like being outside in the sunlight simply because it hurts my eyes, even with heavy duty sunglasses on. This is true for summer or winter. Cloudy days are often just as bad.

We are not immortal, although many of us seem to have (or claim to have) strengthened immune systems, and tend to look younger than our years. Again, this is not always the case however, since I have had grey hair since I was in my mid-teens, and I certainly look in my thirties. As well, I have just finished battling the flu - I still have the sniffles - and it's been a week and a half. However, when I think about it, I was last asked for ID at a local bar 3 years ago, when I was 28 and I hadn't dyed my hair for several years. In any case, no matter if someone is vampire or not - you can't battle genetics! If the family genetics indicate early aging, you're going to age early.

While we tend to be nocturnal, the whole sleeping in a coffin from dawn until dusk is a myth. Although, there again - I DO know someone that slept in a coffin for several years, but I think he grew out of that. Most of us just generally function better in the night hours. I know I do - I write and research mainly between 10 PM and 3 AM. Frankly, I couldn't stand sleeping in a coffin - there just isn't enough room to sprawl out!

Another thing is, we don't stalk "victims" searching to drain the life-blood from them. Well, I have done, but the "victim" was willing and it was a game of sorts, and I certainly didn't drain him. To my knowledge, no vampire takes more than an ounce or two from a donor. For myself, I've never gone beyond an ounce and that was spread out over a few hours. The first time I drank from my first donor I was close to being completely drunk (and no - not from alcohol, but it's the only way I can describe the feeling) after only a few sips. I've been told to go beyond an ounce or two would make one physically sick, but then - I do believe that it is psychological in nature, because our bodies would not be able to distinguish between the blood-juice from say a beef steak, or the blood from a donor. And besides, I've watched Fear Factor - not many of those participants drinking the huge glasses of cow's blood actually vomit.

In reality - you could very well know a vampire. You could work with one, have one in your family. If they didn't tell you - you wouldn't know.



Author: Jodi Wetherup
Source: Suite101